Sunday, November 13, 2011

Just Getting Started

Well, I finally did it.  I finally gave in and got a Blog.  I won’t lie; I am actually pretty excited to get started.  Last Thursday we had a relief society lesson about the importance of journaling.  I used to be really good at keeping a journal and writing in it just about every day; however, since baby number one came along, I slowly began finding other ways to squander my free time.  Don’t get me wrong, I know that keeping a journal is really important.  I love reading from my dad’s old journals and I know that one day my children and maybe even their children or children’s children will enjoy reading my journal (blog).  So, I am going to get started.
Over the past four years it feels like my life has taken a lot of unexpected twists and turns.  Four years ago, I never would have imagined I would be 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, and living in Southern California.  But yet that is exactly where I find myself.  Things change.  Our lives don’t always go as planned and we have to adjust.  I don’t know how we do it, but we somehow find a way to rearrange our thoughts of how things are supposed to be and live with how things actually are.  I guess it’s called learning to cope.  Some of us are better at “coping” then others, and I guess I find myself in the category of still learning how to cope.  I like making plans and I like it even better when things go according to the plans I have laid out. 
We had our first baby girl exactly as planned, 21 months after Tyson and I got married.  Then I finished college.  I graduated from Colorado State last December with Bachelor in Human Development and Family studies after only three-in-half years of hard work. Tyson graduated last may with a Masters in Accounting.  He worked really hard and reached his goals in both academics and athletics as he made it to the national championship and became an All American.  I am so proud of him and how hard he worked.  I don’t know many people who can finish school with a master degree while being an outstanding father and an amazing husband, let alone do that and become a nationally ranked shot-putter.    He is such an incredible man and I feel so blessed to be his wife.  We are both excited as we will be adding a little boy to the mix.  He is due February 12, 2012.  Those are the things that went as planned in our life.
However, like I said before, right now I am here in Southern California.  I’ve tried to have a positive attitude about this move.  I have tried to see the sunny side to living in California.  So far, every positive I find is blocked by a negative that’s worse than the positive. 
For example, it’s between 60 and 80 degrees year round. That’s wonderful; however, my favorite seasons are fall and spring.  Call me crazy but I don’t love summer.  I like wearing jeans and sweaters and I love winter clothes.  There is no use for those here.  Another thing is it is about a 12 hour drive from my family.  This could be seen as a positive if your family is crazy like mine, but it is a big negative if you love your crazy family and want to be close to them.  I am so homesick here.  I miss my little brothers and I feel like I am missing out on their entire childhood.
It’s not all bad.  I love my new ward.  I have only been in it for about a month but I have already made a lot of friends and can tell that it is a great ward.  It is full of people who really care about one another and actually mean it when they offer to come help you move in.  I know that even though my family is 12 hours away, I will have a fabulous ward family as a substitute for my real family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment