(one last "belly" picture)
(one last family picture before we headed to the hospital)
We checked into the hospital at 8 am. It was a beautiful, very hot, summery day. After an hour of paper work and getting ready, they finally started the pitocin at 9 am. They started the drip at a whopping one (the drip ranges from 1-25). It didn't do anything, which was ok. I wanted to wait for the epidural to get the party started. With Gauge, that was awesome. I felt no pain.
The anesthesiologist came in. I was not impressed. He was fairly rude right off the bat. He asked me to bend and stick my lower back out. I really was trying to do what he said, but when you have a belly the size of a basketball, it's pretty tricky to bend in half. He kept saying, "this is what you're doing. This is what I'm telling you to do. Lets try again." He just kept saying that over and over. After about 4 times, he got the hint that I wasn't going to "do what he was telling me to do." He said, "fine, I'll just try it like this." Well, didn't he sound confident :/ That made me pretty nervous.
About an hour after the epidural (10:30), and a few notches increase in the pitocin, I finally decided the epidural had NOT worked. I thought that with my other two the numb-heavy-leg feeling was pretty immediate, but I thought maybe I was remembering wrong. I could still feel my legs and everything else. I was in quite a bit of pain. The contractions were coming every 4 minutes and were getting harder. They were the most painful in my back. I told the nurse and she got the anesthesiologist back in there. He gave me a bulis (11:00 am). It numbed my legs and low back quite a bit, but not my pelvic. It worked for about 30 minutes (11:30).
The contractions were now 2-3 minutes apart and were coming hard and strong. I could feel so much pressure and pain. I told the nurse I could feel everything so she called the anesthesiologist to come give me another bulis. Two minutes later (2:00 pm) I made the nurse check me again and she said, "do not push, do not move, do not sneeze or I will have to deliver this baby!" The dr. came in and it was time to push. OUCH!! I felt everything. I couldn't breath right and felt super dizzie. They hooked me up to oxygen. I thought for sure I was going to pass out, but two pushes and addie was born (2:13 pm). I survived my first not-by-choice all natural birth. Yikes. Its amazing how quickly you can forget such a great amount of pain when you hold that little miracle in your hands. Labor is by far my favorite part of being pregnant. There is something so magical about the entire process. And being able to share something so great, so sacred, with the person I love most makes it that much better.
She looked big to me, so I was shocked when they said she was 6 lbs 15 oz. My smallest baby yet, only 19 inches long. She was perfect. She had hair! Not a ton, but compared to my other babies it was a LOT of hair :) Addie was a great nurser from the get go.
We had a lot of visitors at the hospital. Jared was there through the labor process. He sat on the couch in the nook behind the curtain (possibly took a little nap) right up until the nurse said we were going to deliver. Then he hurried out.
He is a great Papa.
We really appreciated my moms help while she was here.
The kids were thrilled to meet her!!
One of the most fun things is that Addie has a cousin only 3 weeks older than her. I think these two will be great friends!!
They thought Dixie was trying to steal a newborn because Tory is so new still :)
We are so excited to welcome this new addition to our family. I can't believe she is already almost two weeks old. Her one week check up went great and the doctor said there's no need to bring her in for her two week check up because she looked AWESOME! She is up to 7 lbs 1 oz already :). She has been such an easy and happy baby so far. She loves her rocker that papa got her, she loves her moses basket, and she loves to be held. Lexi has been very helpful. She brings me diapers, holds her while I get ready, and while I put Gauge to bed. She is constantly asking to hold her. Gauge loves her too. He says "hi, hi, hiiii" in this sweet little baby voice to her.
After two weeks, I think we'll keep her. Having three kids is awesome. It feels natural, and although there are hard moments in the day, overall it is way easier then i anticipated. :)
I love reading labor stories! And i totally agree about loving the labor part of pregnancy, it's such an amazing thing! So glad she is healthy and you are all doing well! Congrats!
ReplyDelete