Whining. Crying. Spilled chocolate milk on my freshly scrubbed floors. Being a mom can be the most demanding, frustrating, and exhausting job. Sometimes I wonder if I was crazy to think I'd be able to handle two kids, when some days it takes all I have just to handle one. No matter how hard I try, I know I’ll never be "the perfect mom." My kids won't always eat all organic, no preservatives added, non-processed foods, and that’s ok. They won’t always have their teeth brushed twice a day, keep their outfits clean all day, or have my undivided attention all day every day, and that’s ok too. Even though I know all of this, some days I still can’t help but feel so inadequate and so unprepared for my role as a mother.
Yet at the same time, I also have these little moments, pockets of clarity, where I know that I am fulfilling God’s plan for me. A simple kiss and “I love you” from Lexi make the frustrations and demands of the job melt. I feel like I must be doing something right to have such a sweet girl. Regardless of how hard it can be sometimes, I feel so blessed and grateful that I have the opportunity to be a mom. I am excited for my little boy to arrive.
I recently asked an aunt of mine what I can do to maintain my sanity when I go from one kid to two. She gave me the best advice I’ve probably asked for. Although it was simple advice, it is perfect advice. She said to lower my expectations. I can’t keep expecting myself to go 100 miles an hour accomplishing a billion things a day. I will need time to recover and adjust to life with two kids. I need to relax, enjoy my new baby, and ask for help with Lexi so I can rest. Asking for help is one of my least favorite things to do, but I need to learn how to accept help sooner or later, so I might as well start now and get some extra sleep out of it :)
Today I am 36 weeks. I go in for my final ultrasound today. I can’t wait to see my baby boy and how he has progressed the last 8 weeks :)
Amen. Good luck with two!
ReplyDelete