Friday, August 10, 2012

Guage so Far; Month 6


Gauge is six months old.  He is a big boy!! He weighed in at 16 lbs 11 oz at his 6 month check-up yesterday and measured 27 1/4 long.  That makes him 80 percentile for height and 40 percentile for weight.  


Gauge knows all kinds of new tricks this month.  He can go from sitting, to laying, to rolling over, back up to sitting.  When he is on his belly he can get up on his hands and knees and rock back and forth.  He will also go into "downward dog" position with his legs strait, bum in the air, head on the floor.  It is getting tricky to put him down for his naps and bedtime because he immediately rolls over, sits up, and starts babbling.  He loves trying to communicate with loud squeals, some babbling, and smiles.  He loves it when people give him attention and will give BIG smiles to ANYONE who looks at him.  He especially loves toys right now.  His new game is throwing his binki and then going and getting it. 


For not being able to crawl yet, this little guy sure gets around.  He is constantly getting into his sisters things.  Sometimes she shares with him,but usually, she gets annoyed with him.  His favorite thing to try and get is paper.  I make it really easy for him when I leave it in his car seat.  Last Sunday, I filled out the tithing slip and put it and the check in the envelope.  Gauge was sleeping, so I slipped the envelope safely into the car seat so I could turn it in after sacrament.  Moments later I look down and Gauge has eaten a quarter of the envelope, check, tithing slip and all.  When I took it away, you'd think I took his right arm off with the loud wail he cried.  


I feel so blessed to be the mommy of these two sweet babies.  I can't wait to fill my home with more sweet spirits.  It is amazing the love I feel for my kids and the spirit and joy they bring into our home. 

 I have recently been trying to figure out what kind of parent I want to be, how I want to discipline my children, what I want our home to be like.  After reading several parenting books, I came to the conclusion that I can't just read a book and adopt its style as my own.  All children are different.  I like bits and pieces from all the books that I want to incorporate into my parenting style.  Most importantly though, I want to parent with love.  I want my children to know how much I love them and to love me back just as much.  I don't want my children to obey me because they fear me.  I want them to obey me because they love me and respect me.  I can't believe it took me so long to figure out that is how I want to parent.  It is so obvious.  That is exactly how our Heavenly Father parents us.  We obey him because we love and respect him so much and we know how much he loves each of us.  If I follow the Christlike example in my parenting and teach my children the gospel, then I am confident my children will turn out just fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment