Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Little Accomplishments

It's funny, I know that being a mom is the greatest gift God has given me.  And don't get me wrong,  I love my kids more than anything.  They are my world.  Even though I know that everyday I am accomplishing things and that one day my children will grow to be wonderful people, sometimes I look back at my day and wonder what I've accomplished.  What is one tangible thing I have finished today.  Sometimes, there isn't one thing on my "list" I've gotten done. Sure, I cleaned up the dishes, made breakfast lunch and dinner, played with the kids, and as a bonus, all the kids are alive and happy, but I didn't get my lawn mowed, my curtains made, or my couch cushions steamed (all things on my to-do list for the past... I don't know, 5 months).  I felt guilty for wanting to do something for myself, but I decided that sometimes, as a mom, it is important to be selfish.  It's important to take care of yourself and remember that you are of great worth.

So I got up every morning at 5 am to train.  I wanted to run a marathon.  The farthest I've ever ran was 15 miles.  About 5 weeks out from the race date I did my 20 mile run on a Saturday and felt AWESOME!!  That Monday I did an 8 mile and felt good until about 10 that morning.  My foot started to hurt.  It hurt pretty bad and I couldn't run on it for 3 weeks, dr.s orders.  I had peroneal tendonitis, Plantar fasciitis, and a bunion.  When my three weeks were up it still hurt but I could at least run again.

I decided to drop down to a half marathon instead of the full.  It was the Hoover Dam 1/2 Marathon.  Come race day I was so excited, nervous, but really excited.  I loved having my family there to support me.
pre-race photo


almost done.  It was a cool race.  really hilly, really tough.  I went through a series of 6 tunnels.


strong finish

I got second place for the women with a time of 1 hr 44 minutes.  A 7:49 pace.  

I am proud of myself!

The best part about the race was my family waiting for me at the finish.  I love my kids and family so much!!  I am grateful I get to raise these sweet children and spend every day with them



No comments:

Post a Comment