Oh man. About a week ago my sweet little Gauge fell and hurt his teeth. Hurt them bad. We had gone for a quick 30 minute swim in the pool and got out to shower before Daddy got home so we could go out to dinner. We were almost done in the shower. I turned around to help Lexi get all the soap out of her hair, and then heard a thud and crying.
I picked Gauge up right away. He was crying, but I couldn't see any bruises or blood. I was so grateful. As I'm holding him trying to comfort him, Lexi goes, "Mom, what's all that red stuff going on your back?" I look in the mirror and see blood. A lot of blood. I turn off the shower and wrap Lex and Gauge in towels and lay Gauge on the bathroom rug to see where the blood was coming from.... His mouth. I though he got a fat lip, but when I opened his mouth to look in his top left two teeth were gone!! So much blood. So naked. So panicked.
I called Tyson right away. He said to get to a dentist..... Easier said then done. After attempting SIX different dentists (all of which were closed), driving around aimlessly, crying and freaking out, I finally got in contact with a pediatric dentist. He was closed by said Gauge should be fine until the morning. He promised to call me back and come up with a game plan.
Gauge had calmed down, the bleeding had stopped, and I could finally get a clear glimpse into his mouth. This is what I saw....
His teeth were there.... They were just pushed up and back into his gums. It looked so much better without all the blood. I asked Papa and uncle chris to come help ty give him a blessing on their way home from work. The blessing said that his teeth would go back into position and he wouldn't have any permanent damage. It also said I would be able to know how to help manage the pain. It was so comforting and I am SO grateful for the priesthood in my life.
His cheek, eye, and lip swelled more as the night went on, but he was in surprisingly good spirits.
I kept him dosed up on IBUprofen and tylenol alternating every two hours to help with his pain. I was worried how he'd do with so much medicine because he's never really had it before. I stayed up all night worrying and praying.
Saturday, his lip and face were huge. He looked terrible, poor kid.
His gums not only turned purple. They turned completely black, along with the rest of the left inside of his mouth.
The dentist called back and said he felt we could wait until monday for him to be seen. I kept going strong on the pain meds until Sunday I tapered them off and he did great without them.
Monday morning we saw the dentist at 8 am. Gauge did fantastic!! He opened his mouth, let the dentist look in, and even was smiling. That all changed when I had to leave him with the dentist alone for the X-ray. All I heard was "NO! NO! MAAAAMAAA!" Poor kid was panicked and crying in the 10 seconds the X-ray took to complete. He said, "go" and was off and walking to the door. He didn't even want to stop for a prize from the prize box :( But the good news is the dentist said, "his teeth would go back into position and he wouldn't have any permanent damage." Exactly what the blessing had promised! Amazing.
He was back to himself in no time at all. He still has a hard time eating because he cant bite pieces off, but if I break his food into little bites he eats just fine. On top of all that he got 3 of his 4 molars last week. Yowza. Poor kid.
I was assured he was doing completely better when he started getting into things again... his latest obsession, besides finding hidden pens, pensils, or crayons and writing on my walls, his toys, or books, is my make up. Yep. Fun. Yesterday Tyson and I were replacing the faucet in our kitchen sink and meanwhile, this is what happened....
My little mascara man! I am so glad he only got it on himself. Lucky me!
No comments:
Post a Comment