Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Just another day as stay-at-home mom

I love being a mom.  I love getting to spend everyday with my kiddos.  I love almost every minute of it.  I love seeing them learn and grow.  There is nothing like the feeling when you see your kid get something you've been trying to teach them.  Just this week Lexi has made three huge leaps cognitively.

The other morning I was cooking breakfast.  A sleep-looking lexi meanders into the kitchen and says matter-of-factly, "Mom.  I think I know my ABC's."  We have been singing them for months now and she always skips some, or adds some.  She had the basic just of the ABC's, but I wouldn't say she knew them.  I asked if she wanted to sing them to me.  She did.  She sang them all the way through pronouncing each letter perfectly, no mistakes.  I was so proud of her in that moment.

Then yesterday, at library, a little boy asked her how old she was.  She responded, "Hi.  I'm Lexi.  I'm two-in-a-half but on Feb-ary twenty three I be three."  I was shocked.  Again, I have been trying to teach her her birthday for a good month.  Then all the sudden, click.  She gets it.

She knows her name starts with an "L, uhl, L, Lexi. down. cross. L."

I am a good mom.  I am creative.  I try to play with my kids, minimize TV time, teach them the gospel, and other life lessons and skills I find important, but sometimes I feel like I'm running out of ideas.  (pintrest is great for that problem!).

One idea I had the other day was to have a picnic.  Lexi has been talking a lot about picnics lately (I don't know where she gets most of her ideas), so I decided we would pack a picnic lunch to enjoy in the backyard.  I wanted it to be special and make Lexi feel important. We brought out our "real" picnic kit.  It has glass dishes, "fancy" glass drinking glasses, and real, cloth, napkins.  :)  She was so excited!! We made lunch (chicken, sweet potatoes, grapes, and water to drink) then carried it, a blanket, and our picnic basket out to the back yard.  Lexi set our places and helped me get everything just right.



(gauge enjoyed this "outing" as much as lex)





No comments:

Post a Comment